Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Skin Salve: Salvation in a Tin

Even in the summer, my skin can be dry and irritated. Instead of suffering with cracked lips and patches of unwanted flaky skin, I turn to my trusty friends - my skin salves. These multipurpose products are great because one tin has all of your problem areas covered - you can use a salve as a lip balm, to cure dry elbows, or condition those stubborn dehydrated spots on your arms or legs.



I've previously relied solely on Smith's Rosebud Salve, in its traditional rosy pink goodness. The smell is pleasant and the formula contains "cotton seed oil, aromol and essential oils blended in a special petrolatum base." The greasy and waxy texture works well to heal almost any dry skin ailment - it even acts as a great cuticle ointment. I carry a container of Rosebud Salve with me in my make-up bag in the colder months, but as it's prone to melt easily, I leave it at home in the summer.




You can find Smith's original salve at Sephora (for $6), along with some other similar products from the brand. The Minted Rose, Brambleberry Rose and Strawberry lip balms retail there for $7. Urban Outfitters also carries the Mocha Rose Salve for $8. I'm lemming the latter for sure! Mocha?!? Oh, yes...!

Another great product that I purchased more recently was launched as part of MAC's Naked Honey collection last month. The Naked Honey Skin Salve is a wonderful skin soother that has taken its place bedside. A delicious mix of ingredients like sunflower oil and beeswax, this salve smells (and tastes!) like honey (hence, the name ;-) ). The scent also comes off to me as quite "beachy" - very yummy and enjoyable! Lately, I've been using this on my lips before bed-time, and in the morning I wake up to soft and supple, "no-trace-of-dry-skin-here" lips. As with the Rosebud Salve, this product can be used on any part of the body. You can find this, and other items from the Naked Honey collection for a limited time at MAC stores, MAC counters and online at the MAC website. The salve retails for $18.50, and you get a pretty good amount of a product which should last through many uses.






How do you feel about skin salves? Do you use them?






No comments:

Post a Comment