I love me some Make Up For Ever, so upon hearing that their wonderful products were used on the set of the upcoming movie, "The Runaways" (starring Kristin Stewart as Joan Jett and Dakota Fanning as Cherie Currie), I felt I should share some of the behind the scenes beauty with you all. Documenting the all-woman rock band of the 1970's, the makeup was set to incorporate the rock and roll edge of the time.
Taking center stage for the look was a gorgeous smoky eye, created by Robin Mathews, head makeup artist for the film. She employed a variety of MUFE products to achieve this effect.
Here is the breakdown of the specific colors used to design each character's signature beauty look:
Kristin Stewart (Joan Jett) - Classic Smoky Eye:
1. Cover the entire lid area with Eyeshadow #127 (metallic taupe). Blend well to ensure that there are no hard edges.
2. Apply a good amount of Aqua Eyes Pencil in 0L (black) to the under eye area. Add to the upper lid as well, staying as close to the lash line as possible.
3. Use a smudger brush to smudge out the liner that was applied to both the upper and lower lash lines. Tip from the MUA: The smoky eye is all about the smudge! After, reapply a heavier dose of eyeliner.
4. Smudge Eyeshadow #139 (iridescent brown-black) over the previously applied eyeliner.
5. Curl lashes!
6. Apply Smoky Lash mascara, "scissoring up" to create volume and separation.
Dakota Fanning (Cherie Currie) - Colorful Smoky Eye:
1. Apply Star Powder #922 (copper) to the eyelid, all the way into the inner corner area, leaving the outer corner free of color.
2. Line the top and bottom lash lines with Aqua Eyes Pencil #3L (iridescent navy blue). Tip from the MUA: Apply liner as close to the lash line as possible to help create the perfect smoky eye.
3. Smudge the eyeliner with a smudger brush to blend out the color.
4. Apply Eyeshadow #81 (metallic navy blue iridescent) to the outer corner of the eye with a small flat brush and drag the color into the crease slightly.
5. To "smoke out" the eye, add some of the blue shadow to the lower lash line and blend it out.
6. Curl lashes and apply Smoky Lash mascara.
Robin explained why she used Make Up For Ever to create the look for the movie. She said, "I designed 'The Runaways' eyes around Make Up For Ever eyeshadows. Their highly pigmented eyeshadows and Aqua Eyes eyeliners are silky smooth, blendable, and long-lasting. The color selection is limitless, giving you endless possibilities. I finished each look with Smoky Lash mascara - which is truly smudge proof, a necessity on and off stage."
As a fun sweepstakes, Make Up For Ever has partnered with "The Runaways" to send one lucky winner and a guest to the NYC premiere of the movie on March 17th! For official rules and information on how to enter, check out www.makeupforeverusa.com/runaways.
Make Up For Ever has also created two video tutorials for the above looks along with Robin Mathews. You can also view these at www.makeupforeverusa.com/runaways.
To shop Make Up For Ever and for information on pricing, see www.sephora.com.
Have fun recreating these looks and be sure to enter the contest!